About the Sonoma County Gazette
The Sonoma County Gazette is 100% Sonoma County LOCAL NEWS featuring articles on issues that impact our home, news from local nonprofits, stories on local businesses and EVENTS on our Community Calendar. The Gazette educates and inspires readers to actively participate in community life.
Our mantra at the Gazette? To build community with compassion, reason and logic. We don’t strive to be your breaking news source. But we are excited to be your community-first news resource, presenting the intimate, newsworthy stories about the community you love the most: yours.
We publish Resource Guides to Sonoma County-owned businesses throughout the year, both in print and online: Small Shops of Sonoma County that comes out in December and the Sonoma County Gardener's Resource Guide comes out in March.
Supported by the community
The Sonoma County Gazette is 100% advertiser supported and FREE to readers. Our advertisers are why this paper exists. I encourage readers to support the businesses that support this paper. Ads are placed with editorial in good positions on the outside of pages. Providing advertisers with good graphic design and layout in the publication is part of how the Gazette supports Sonoma County business owners. Our paper is attractive so people pick it up, the layout is clean and easy to read so people spend time on our pages, and ads are designed so reader's eyes are drawn to them. Supporting the success of our advertisers is key to this paper's success.
The Sonoma County Gazette continues to gain respect from readers because of its unique perspective on news...proud to represent the values and priorities of our communities. For a current list of where to pick up a copy of the print edition at 1000 newsstands and local businesses, please visit Find the Gazette. We print and distribute 27,000 magazines County-Wide from Cloverdale to Petaluma and Sonoma to the Coast, estimating our print and on-line readership at approximately 100,000 readers.
Questions? Contact Us
Managed by community members
The Sonoma County Gazette continues to be published and edited by a local female leader in our community.
Amie Windsor has been the publisher since October 2020. Prior to being name publisher, Amie was a consistent freelance writer for the Sonoma County Gazette, offering insights into her life, most often as a mother of two young daughters. Throughout her time in Sonoma County, Amie has served as the development associate for Social Advocates for Youth, the Field Representative for Fifth District Supervisor Lynda Hopkins and as a community newspaper reporter for Sonoma West Publishers and the Independent Coast Observer.
Want to help build the community?
Current job offers:
The Sonoma County Gazette is searching for a part-time, layout designer. Layout designer responsibilities include:
- Coordinating with the publication team on projects including graphic designers, proofreaders, and illustrators.
- Arranging page elements for screens and printed media.
- Determining text and image size for each page.
- Manipulating image aspect ratio for optimum viewing.
- Modifying page graphics to work with the images and text.
Layout designer requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Visual Arts, or similar.
- 3+ years of experience as a layout designer or graphic designer.
- Proficiency with industry desktop publishing tools including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Quark, and Illustrator.
- Excellent composition and visual design skills.
- A deep understanding of typography principals.
- Artistic and drawing skills.
- Advanced proofreading skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
This is a part-time, contract position.
Please email Amie Windsor with CV, resume and portfolio examples if interested.