October 3, 2017 - 1st Public hearing - Composition of Districts. To receive feedback from community members that will be used to draw preliminary district maps. No Maps Yet Drawn
October 10, 2017 - 2nd Public hearing - Composition of Districts. Continuation of the opportunity for community members to provide feedback to be used in drawing preliminary district maps.No Maps Yet Drawn.
October 24, 2017 - Publish Draft Maps andPotential Sequence of Elections
November 1, 2017 - 3rd Public Hearing Special Meeting - Draft Maps. Opportunity to respond and make recommendations regarding the proposed district boundaries and the potential sequence of elections
November 7, 2017 - Any Amended Maps Posted
November 14, 2017 - 4th Public Hearing - Draft Maps. Expected that Council will select map to establish district boundaries, introduce an ordinance establishing district elections, and determine election sequence.
November 21, 2017 - 5th Public Hearing - Expected that Council will adopt an ordinance establishing district elections.
November 27, 2017 - Day 90
The City has begun the process to transition to district-based elections and will be drawing boundaries for those new districts to be ready for the November 2018 Council elections.
It is essential for the success of this process that there is a shared understanding of neighborhood regions. You are the person who knows your neighborhood best. Please use the topics below to inform us on how you identify your neighborhood by describing your community characteristics, shared interests, views, or problems.
All comments received will be shared with City Council as part of the public feedback at future public hearings.
In addition to collecting information here on Speak-up, Santa Rosa, there will be opportunities for residents to engage in this discussion in person, sign-up and subscribe to receive email notifications (select "City Council Agendas, Minutes, and Videos") about upcoming community meetings & public hearings that are focused on district-based elections:
- Community Meetings - 4-5 community meetings will be held around the City to answer questions and solicit input.
- City Council Public Hearings - opportunity to be involved through the process of drafting and finalizing the maps
Looking for background information on why district-based elections are coming to the City of Santa Rosa? Please review the report item prepared for the October 3rd City Council Meeting (found here).
1) How do your refer to your neighborhood (e.g. Sky Hawk, Montgomery Village, Roseland Creek, Coffey Park, South Park, historic area, etc.)? Please describe the areas that you naturally include and/or exclude in order to define your neighborhood.
2) Describe what you think are your neighborhood's natural boundaries: what are the highways, railroad, main streets, creeks, trails, or other geographic features that begin and end in your neighborhood?
3) Please share any additional thoughts or concerns you may have about how districts lines may impact your neighborhood and/or nearby areas that you do not identify as being a part of your neighborhood.
Please be as specific as you can in your responses.