Aug 28, 2017
With children heading back to school this fall, local brain training center LearningRx Santa Rosa is offering 25 ideas to help parents ensure their child’s success and make homework easier. Here is a sampling of the tips:
1. Have them do the hardest work first. Do the most difficult work when their brains are primed. Once it’s behind them, they’ll feel relieved to breeze through the easier homework.
2. Give them the tools to stay organized. Help your student choose a color system for binders or find apps that help with organization by sending email alerts or text reminders.
3. Designate a regular homework time. Some kids need to come home from school and unwind. Others do best if they complete homework right after school. Find the routine that works best and give them a healthy snack to sustain their energy and brain power.
4. Reevaluate medications. Allergy medications can put your student in a fog. Stimulant medications for ADHD can have side effects. Talk to your pediatrician about potential alternatives, such as allergen immunotherapy or nonstimulant medications.
5. Get them personal brain training. One-on-one brain training targets the cognitive skills that make up the foundation of ALL learning. These include brain skills like memory, auditory processing, attention, processing speed, logic & reasoning, and visual processing. It also gives kids a HUGE boost of confidence!
A Randomized Control Trial testing LearningRx’s ThinkRx personal brain training—found significant physical changes—including an increase in global network efficiency— in students’ brains after completing the program.
Analysis of cognitive testing scores found that training groups also scored significantly higher than controls on multiple tasks, with the most significant gains occurring in auditory processing.
The results of the analysis—“Analysis of Resting State Functional Connectivity in a Cognitive Training Intervention Study”—have been published in LearningRx’s 48-page 2016 edition of “Client Outcomes and Research Results.”
To view all 25 tips, visit MediaLearningRX.
LearningRx, headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is the largest one-on-one brain training organization in the world. With 80 Centers in the U.S., and locations in 40 countries around the globe, LearningRx has helped more than 95,000 individuals and families sharpen their cognitive skills to help them think faster, learn easier, and perform better. Their on-site programs partner every client with a personal brain trainer to keep clients engaged, accountable, and on-task—a key advantage over online-only brain exercises. Their pioneering methods have been used in clinical settings for 35 years and have been verified as beneficial in peer-reviewed research papers and journals.
Please support our sponsors:
Sonoma County Bike Shops and Groups. Find LOCALLY-OWNED Bicycle Shops for NEW, Used and Rental Bicycles as well as REPAIR. Look for a bike-riding group that suits your needs and style.
Please use the Gazette's Guide to find LOCALLY-OWNED Garden Businesses to support Sonoma County's environmental and economic health and vitality.