Dec 29, 2017
With freeze warnings in the forecast across Sonoma County, Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) is urging customers to be cautious when heating their homes.
Electric heating devices, such as space heaters, are a home fire hazard when not properly used or monitored. Fuel-burning appliances, such as gas furnaces, stoves and water heaters, can increase the risk of carbon monoxide, a toxic gas, when they are not working properly.
“We want our customers to be warm this winter, but most importantly we want them to be safe. High levels of carbon monoxide can be generated by appliances that are defective or improperly installed or maintained. That is why it’s very important to have your gas appliances checked before every winter to ensure they are working properly,” said Dave Canny, Senior Manager for PG&E’s Sonoma Division.
PG&E encourages customers to schedulefree gas appliance safety checks through the company’s customer service helpline at 1-800-743-5000. Our Gas Service Representatives (GSRs) will test carbon monoxide detector batteries and expiration dates, relight furnace pilots, and check gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters at no cost to the customer.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States. Nearly half of these fires occur from December through February. The leading contributing factors to space heater fires are heating equipment too close to objects that can burn, such as furniture, clothing, mattresses or bedding, and leaving heating equipment unattended.
If customers suspect there is a problem with a natural gas appliance inside their home, they should call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. A gas service representative will be dispatched to do a thorough inspection. If you detect carbon monoxide in your home, you should get out immediately and call 911.
Please support our sponsors: