The Sonoma County Gazette: Community News Magazine
Sonoma County Gazette
Subscribe
Cittaslow Sebastopol  Survey results
| more

Photo Gallery

PG&E Offers Sonoma County Customers Tips to Stay Safe and Warm

thumb_2_pge-600.jpg

PG&E Offers Sonoma County Customers Tips to Stay Safe and Warm

With temperatures expected to drop to the 20s throughout parts of Northern and Central California this week, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is urging customers to take safety precautions when heating their homes.

Fuel-burning appliances, such as gas furnaces, stoves, ovens and water heaters, can increase the risk of carbon monoxide, a toxic gas, when they are not working properly. According to the Center for Disease Control, every year in the U.S. at least 430 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning and approximately 50,000 people will be sent to the hospital. If unsafe concentrations of carbon monoxide are present but not detected, the result can be fatal.

“Safety is always our top priority. We want to ensure that our customers stay safe and warm during the coldest days of winter. That’s why we’re asking families and businesses to be particularly careful, and follow a few key safety tips, when using both gas and electric appliances this season.” said John Ghigliazza, PG&E’s Sonoma Division Senior Manager.

Electric heating devices, such as space heaters, can also be a safety hazard when used improperly. Improper use has been known to cause fires.According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States and from 2009 to 2013, accounted for 56,000 structure fires per year. Nearly half of these fires occur from December through February. The leading contributing factor to space heater fires is heating equipment too close to objects that can burn, such as furniture, clothing, mattresses or bedding.

PG&E urges customers to focus on safely heating their homes as temperatures dip and offers the following tips:

 

  • Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, barbecues, propane heaters and charcoal.
  • As of 2011, all California single-family homes are required to have carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Installation of the devices will warn when concentration levels are high.
  • Check the expiration date – most carbon monoxide detectors have a shelf life of five to seven years.
  • Replace the batteries at least twice a year.
  • Place space heaters on level, hard, nonflammable surfaces, not on rugs or carpets.
  • Don’t put objects on space heaters or use them to dry clothes or shoes.
  • Turn off space heaters when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Keep all flammable materials at least three feet away from heating sources and supervise children when a space heater or fireplace is being used.
  • Never use cooking devices such as ovens or stoves for home heating purposes.
  • When using the fireplace to stay warm, make sure the flue is open so that the byproducts of combustion can vent safely through the chimney.

 

If customers suspect there is a problem with a natural gas appliance inside their home, they should call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. A gas service representative will be dispatched to do a thorough inspection. If you detect carbon monoxide in your home, you should get out immediately and call 911.

Community First Credit Union Sonoma County Gazette February 2017 - FLIP the PAGES Sonoma County Gardeners Resource Guide 2017 - FLIP the PAGES Hans Bruhner Pinnacle Capital Mortgage beekind of Sebastopol and San Francisco, cA Fine Tree Care - Sonoma County Tree Service Bucks n Barks Pet and Feed Store, Sebastopol, CA Cultivate Home Kitchen & Home Decor
Website designed and powered by Webhelper.com CMS Content Management System
The Sonoma County Gazette website is brought to you in part by Sophie's Cellars, The Sonoma Wine & Cheese market, Monte Rio, California.